Cyclonic storm ‘ BUREVI’ is expected to enter Sri Lanka’s East Coast between 7 pm – 10 pm, according to the Sri Lanka Met Department.
The Disaster Management Centre issued a warning stating that damages maybe be incurred.
- Damage to huts, temporary shelters and light structures
- Destroy the rooftops/ sheets etc.
- Damage to power and communication lines.
- Breaking of tree branches and uprooting of large avenue trees.
- Damage to paddy crops, banana, papaya trees and orchards.
- Damage to harbour yachts
- Flash flood
- Seawater inundation in low lying areas in the near coast.
For the Sea area:
- Naval and fishing communities are being warned not to venture to the sea areas around the island until further notice.
- Those who are out at aforementioned sea regions are advised to return to coasts or moved safer areas as soon as possible.
For the Land area:
- Coastal hutment dwellers are advised to move to safer places. Other people in the affected areas to remain indoors.
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
- Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
- The general public is requested to be vigilant regarding the impending extreme weather situation.
- For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
- Requested to be attentive about future advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology in this regard.