The much awaited all-island finals of Sir John Tarbet Junior School Athletic Championship 2017 was held from 8th to 10th November at Mahinda Rajapaksa Grounds, Diyagama and came to an exciting close with JanadhipathiBalikaVidyalayaNawalaemerging Overall Champions – Girls, while the Overall Champions – Boys was St. Joseph’s College Colombo.
The Runners up – Girls, was SumanaBalikaMahaVidyalaya, Rathnapura while Rahula College Matara became the Boys Runners up.The Best Athlete of the Year – Girls, was S. H.SadiniKavisha (Vijitha MadyaMahaVidyalaya, Dickwella ) and the Best Athlete of the Year – Boys, was W. H.H.M. Abesekara (Siddhartha MahaVidyalayaBalapitiya).The Championship was sponsored by the premier chocolate brand of Ceylon Biscuits Limited (CBL), Ritzbury, Sri Lanka’s No. 1 chocolate, for the fifth consecutive year.
This year, the Championship attracted the highest number of over 7000 participants from 200 schools and Athletes who participated successfully in the three preliminary championships held in Polonnaruwa, Hanwella and Nawalapitiya hailed from all provinces. Ritzbury has earned a fine reputation as a strong supporter of several sports in Sri Lanka, in addition to its focus on the Sir John Tarbet Senior and Junior School Athletic Championships.
- Overall Champions – Girls: JanadhipathiBalikaVidyalayaNawala
- Runners up – Girls: SumanaBalikaMahaVidyalaya, Rathnapura
- Overall Champions – Boys: Joseph’s College Colombo
- Runners up – Boys: Rahula College Matara
- The Best Athlete of the Year – Girls, was S. H.SadiniKavisha (VijithaMadyaMahaVidyalaya, Dickwella)and the Best Athlete of the Year – Boys, H.H.M. Abesekara (Siddhartha MahaVidyalayaBalapitiya)