In line with the Government’s policy of promoting local and foreign investments for the development of Sri Lanka, it has become necessary to regularize and update the present visa issuing system.
On the request of qualified foreigners, in future, the government will issue three types of visa – Visit Visa, resident Visa, and Transit Visa.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Management has recommended revising the current visa types and the fees for them. Accordingly it was decided to collect visa charges in US Dollars instead of Sri Lankan Rupees.
The cabinet of ministers has approved a proposal put forward by the Internal Affairs, Wayamba Development and Cultural Affairs Minister S. B. Navinne to amend the Article 14 of the Immigrant and Emigration Act No.20 of 1948 and to amend the relevant Regulations as suited.
Accordingly, following measures will be added to the Visa issuing method.
- Recommendation of visa for investors/employees in BOI zones by the Secretary of the Ministry under which the BOI comes.
- Charge a fine of US 500 dollars in addition to visa charge from foreigners whose visa period has expired.
- Provide residential visa for foreign student covering the whole academic period.
- Issue residential visa up to 10 years for foreigners who remit more than USD 500,000 to Sri Lanka.
- Issue spouse visa for foreigners up to 05 years and for their children who are married with Sri Lankan citizens.
- Residential visa for 02 years to foreigners whose Sri Lankan spouse is dead who has resided continuously for 10 years in Sri Lanka or who have children under 18 years of age, for employment purpose.
- Issue a permanent residence visa for former Sri Lankans who have already obtained the citizenship of another country who cannot apply for dual citizenship.