Mahara Prison is a maximum security prison, and is one of the largest prisons in Sri Lanka. Situated in the old city of Mahara in the Western Province. The prison is administrated by the Department of Prisons.
Intermittent gunfire rang out on Monday at a Sri Lankan high-security prison where a riot by inmates over a surge of Covid-19 infections.
1. 117 Injured, out of which 02 are prison officers.
2. 11 inmates reported dead.
3. Autopsies of the bodies will be conducted in due course after the magisterial inquest.
4. 35 of these prisoners were exposed to COVID-19.
5. 16 injured prisoners are in critical condition, and another 04 prisoners are in a very serious condition.
According to DIG Ajith Rohana, 80 inmates are being treated at the Ragama hospital and one remandee is being treated at the National Hospital.
24 inmates have been released from the hospital and transferred to the Colombo Remand Prison.