Pictures: Wildfires leave behind charred homes and ashes in Turkey

Pictures: Wildfires leave behind charred homes and ashes in Turkey

The death toll of the Turkish wildfires has risen to six after two forest workers were killed, the country’s health minister said.

Fires raging across southern Turkey since Wednesday have burned down forests and some settlements, encroaching on villages and tourist destinations and forcing thousands of people to evacuate.

A new blaze erupted on Saturday in the popular holiday resort of Bodrum on the Aegean coast and some residential areas and hotels were evacuated, according to broadcasters.

Turkey’s Minister of Health Fahrettin Koca said 400 people affected by the fires in Manavgat were treated at hospitals and released, while 10 others were still hospitalized. In Marmaris, 159 people were treated at the hospital and one person was still undergoing treatment for burns.

Wildfires are common in southern Turkey in the summer but authorities say the latest blazes have covered a much bigger area.

Agriculture and Forestry Minister Bekir Pakdemirli said a total of 101 fires had broken out in the past four days, of which 91 were under control.

Source: Al-Jazeera

Turkey’s government said the majority of the fires which broke out across the country this week had been contained or entirely put out by Friday morning [Kaan Soyturk/Reuters]
A forest fire burns near the town of Manavgat, east of the resort city of Antalya. [Kaan Soyturk/Reuters]