About 4000 people mainly from Kalutara District still without power

CEB says many powerpoles completely uprooted or destroyed
About 4000 people are still without electricity following the severe weather conditions experienced on November 29, the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) said.

The vast majority are from the Kalutara District, CEB Spokesman Sulakshana Jayawardena told the Sunday Times yesterday.

Over one million customers were initially without power with the majority of the outages being reported from the Southern Province and the Kalutara District.

Mr. Jayawardena stated that the situation in Kalutara was still difficult as the weather had completely uprooted or destroyed many powerpoles. The CEB currently has some 650 personnel in the district repairing the damage and gradually restoring power.

“It can be quite dangerous work, and we have to be mindful of the safety of our crew when working in these areas,” he added.

Mr Jayawardena however, said the CEB expects to restore power to all customers by early next week.

Residents from the Kalutara District who need more information can contact the CEB on 0114-418418.

Another power outage waiting to happen: This coconut tree that had been struck by the strong winds leans precariously over power lines in Aluthgama. Pic by Sarath Siriwardene

Courtesy -Sunday Times-

Leave a Reply